Skip to main content

Government to roll out cash transfer of food subsidy from September

  • Crisil, the Indian arm of Standard & Poor's, estimates that the federal subsidy bill could fall by 20%, or Rs 250 billion ($3.94 billion) a year, if the direct benefit transfer scheme is fully implemented.
  • India plans to phase in cash transfers of food and kerosene subsidies from September, saving 10-15% of the $21 billion in annual outlays on the benefits by eliminating fraud, a senior finance ministry official said on Thursday.
  • Three so-called union territories, directly administered by the central government, would become a testbed for the measures, said Peeyush Kumar, the senior finance ministry official in charge of the cash transferscheme.
  • Under the programme, each family will get a monthly subsidy of about Rs 500-700 ($19), which would be linked to a state-set procurement price of grains.
  • Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who has completed one year in power, wants to improve targeting of food and fuel subsidies to reach the poor - monetising benefits previously paid in kind that often went to waste or were stolen.
  • He launched a 'Digital India' drive on Wednesday to offer public services by linking bank accounts, identity cards and mobile phones in a national database.
  • Indian plans to reduce its subsidy bill by about 10 percent to $38.4 billion this fiscal year, about 14% of federal spending on programmes offering subsidised food, fertiliser and fuel, helped by reforms and lower crude oil prices.
  • The federal government has set a deadline of December for states to computerise all data on households now receiving subsidised food and fuel - to remove 'ghost', or fake, beneficiaries, Kumar told a seminar on benefit reforms.
  • Direct payments for cooking gas into people's bank accounts, launched earlier this year, have reduced sales of subsidised fuel by about one-fourth, mainly by eliminating ghost beneficiaries, said finance ministry adviser Arvind Subramanian.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

India becomes first non-NPT signatory to ink landmark civil nuclear deal with Japan

India and Japan today signed the civil nuclear agreement during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Tokyo. A landmark deal for a cleaner, greener world! PM @narendramodi and PM @AbeShinzo witness exchange of the landmark Civil Nuclear Agreement The deal would allow Japan to export nuclear technology to India, making it the first non-NPT signatory to have such a deal with Tokyo Japan is a major player in the nuclear energy market and an atomic deal with it will make it easier for US-based nuclear plant makers Westinghouse Electric Corporation and GE Energy Inc to set up atomic plants in India Other nations who have signed civil nuclear deal with India include the US, Russia, South Korea, Mangolia, France, Namibia, Argentina, Canada, Kazakhstan and Australia. Source:- India becomes first non-NPT signatory to ink landmark civil nuclear deal with Japan

Schemes by NDA government status.

Ujjwala Yojna :- Objective - The scheme is aimed at replacing the unclean cooking fuels mostly used in the rural India with the clean and more efficient LPG Target - 1.56 crore BPL families Achievement - 1 crore BPL families till date Rural Electrification :- Objective - Rural electrification is the process of bringing electrical power to rural and remote areas. Target - 18,452 villages Achievement - 10,829 villages electrified till date Jan Dhan Yojna Objective - Financial Inclusion to ensure access to financial services, namely Banking Savings & Deposit Accounts, Remittance, Credit, Insurance, Pension in an affordable manner. Achievement - 25.51 crore account opened till date Mudra Yojna Objective - (MUDRA) Bank is a new institution being set up by Government of India for development and refinancing activities relating to micro units.The purpose of MUDRA is to provide funding to the non corporate small business sector. Target- 5.75 crore Achievem...

Modi govt launches single-form registration for new businesses

The move is aimed at reducing red tape in the incorporation of businesses, which currently require up to 8 forms. The Narendra Modi-led BJP government marked Labour Day by making it easier to incorporate a new business. Starting today, entrepreneurs need only fill out one form to start a business, down from the eight they had to submit until now. The new form, called INC-29, will allow make compliance and reporting easier website of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs. Name availability, allotment of Director Identification Number (DIN), company incorporation and commencement of business will now be possible through a single form. The move is in keeping with Modi’s public avowal to improve India’s global ease of doing business ranking. The red tape that businesses faces while registering themselves, including at least 8 different forms for various permissions has been a pet peeve of entrepreneurs. Currently, even for a single-person company, the forms required include separate ...